Monday, May 21, 2012

My Last Tuesdays with Morrie


I was not sure what I wanted to write about for our last blog; there are so many things to choice from. But then I read the Graduation chapter from Tuesdays with Morrie and that’s when I knew what I wanted to write about: My first hard hit death experience this year. It wasn’t the first time that I had seen someone die and it certainly won’t be the last. But Morrie died the same way my Grammy O did.

I’m getting ahead of myself first let me tell you about this extraordinary woman. She was born with the name Fran then acquired the last name O’Neil. Everybody knew her as the little old lady who lived in the shoe at Story Land. But to those closes to her she was someone you could talk to; someone that if you were feeling down she would be the first person to make you laugh, she would be your best friend.

She had fallen into slipped into a coma a few days before she died. And when she did the whole family took turns sitting in the room with her watching, waiting for something to happen; wishing that we could do anything to ease her suffering. It wasn’t until everyone had stepped out for a moment to discuss a matter of importance that she decided to give in.

 I didn’t know how much it would hurt to drive by the house she lived in and have to stop myself from turning on my blinker to go visit her. I wish I could go back and visit her more, call her more. I learnt the hard way that it’s the moments that we share now that matter not what we are doing at that moment. I learnt, just like Mitch, how easy it is to take someone for granted because nobody lives forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment