This past summer my family has
experienced the hardest hits that Death could give. You see he took away the
two people who were the cores of what made my family a family. But I’m getting
ahead of myself. First I’ll tell you about my Mimi, because her death was the
hardest for me to handle.
Her name was Dorothy Moore, but to
us great-grandkids she was Mimi. Mimi was one of those people who would scold
you and then tell you a joke right after. I remember sitting around the table
after dinner one night, just talking about every day stuff, with the radio
playing in the background. Then Mimi turns and yells “Bud turn the radio up; I
love this song!” Now I have no idea how she heard the radio, she had to use
hearing aids to hear us yell, I couldn’t even hear the damn radio. But the
second Bud, her second husband, turned the radio up she started to sing “Like a
Virgin” by Madonna. The whole table burst out laughing and then one by one
started to join in singing the song.
That
was one out of the million memories that ran through my mind as I sat in the
hospital waiting room waiting for the moment that the woman I had looked up to
for so long took her last breath. I couldn’t believe just a few hours ago I was
bowling and laughing with my friends celebrating a birthday while my
great-grandmother was dying. I hated myself at that moment, I hated God for
doing this to my family, I hated the fact that the situation was happening so
fast, and I hated how helpless I felt. There was nothing I could do to stop my
Mimi’s and my families’ suffering at that moment.
It wasn’t
till a few hours later that my aunt told me there wouldn’t be a funeral. No
chance for closer or a last goodbye. I would have to go into the room full of
family members and say my goodbyes to a suffering woman. The tears wouldn’t
stop running as I walked out of the room; I didn’t stop till I felt the cold
crisp air outside in front of my mothers’ car; I wanted to get away and fast.
The car
ride home was a blur. When I got home I went downstairs to my bed filled with
my partied out friends and laid down a cried until I fell asleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment